Saturday, March 13, 2021

Before they were Van Halen

Eddie Van Halen and his brother Alex formed a band before they ventured out with David Lee Roth as the rock phenomenon “Van Halen.”  Before that incarnation of the brothers’ band, they were once called “Mammoth.”  I thought of that just now as Cas and I toured an paleontological site in Waco housing a large cache of mammoth bones.  Check that off the list of things I had no idea I wanted to see.  It was pretty cool.  They had an artist’s rendition of the mammoth whose bones we were looking at, and I decided to stand next to the image for scale: 



That was a good, quick walk we decided to take in Waco after our kolache lunch in West.  I think it’s just a behavioral norm, though it ought to be a law, that if you drive from Dallas to Waco, you must stop in West and eat at least one kolache.  

But now, we’re back on the road to San Antonio.  We ate amazing baked goods and saw old bones.  Mostly, we got out of Dallas for the first time in over a year.  So far, so good- next stop, San Antonio!  

No comments:

Post a Comment