Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Driskill

I have stayed in some fancy hotels before, and I have stayed in some really questionable places that simply served as shelter while on a journey.  The Driskill Hotel is exceptionally fancy.  There is stained glass throughout the lobby and “historic” rooms that have clearly been updated with the times.  Our room has a very small but well appointed bathroom with a marble counter and floor.  The Menger was a bit more... rustic.  And for the first time in my life, I unwound a hotel bathrobe from its hanger and used it.  I have never bothered before, but wow- this is one soft and comfy bathrobe.  As I slid the microfiber over my shoulders, I thought of the place my mother and I stayed when we went to Honolulu- they had a sign warning us not to steal their towels- but their towels were stolen from other hotels.  A far cry from the Driskill, that’s for sure.  

Sometimes, just out of curiosity, I glance at the posted notice on the inside of the door in any given hotel room.  Someone once told me that hotels have to post the highest price that room can ever cost on the inside of the door.  The inside of the door on the room I am sitting in right now said $2,500.  I assume they’re talking about American dollars, and if anyone ever paid that to sleep on a queen bed in a small (but very historic) room in Austin, Texas, I hope they got to keep both of the robes for free.  And maybe a lamp or a chair.  That is not the rate we got.  

Anyhow, it’s Saint Patrick’s Day today, and we’re headed out to participate in some shenanigans.  We’ve contemplated options, arriving at no conclusions.  Maybe the capitol building and the Bullock Museum?  Maybe our day takes us to Lake Travis.  Last night, we were pretty tired, so our evening took us to a burger place, then up and down Sixth Street for a post-dinner walk.  But now, it’s time to leave these robes in the room and greet Sixth Street- Top O’ The Morning to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment