Monday, June 7, 2021

Narrated by Tom Hanks

Today, the five of us who remained in town had tickets to the World War II Museum.  It’s billed as the top attraction in New Orleans, and I see why.  At an impressive five ehxibit halls, it has buildings that take up a huge amount of space, cross city streets with sky bridges, and house large, military aircraft on their ceilings.  We got there at 10 am and walked through about a zillion exhibits.  We honestly didn’t have time to walk through about half of the stuff.  I was told prior to leaving for this trip that, to properly view the museum, you’d need to plan to spend at least two days.  We had one day, and we cut it short, at that.  There really is a threshold that most people have for war museums, and each of the five of us hit that wall at different times.  I think Jane and I were first, ready to tap out like a tag team wrestler after only a few, short hours.  Danny and Dad were characteristically inscrutable, giving no indication that they needed to wrap it up, but when it was tine to go, they certainly didn’t argue.  Cas was the last one out of the museum, and that makes me happy,  I am glad he is both interesting and interested in things, bit I am more glad that he has enough of a comfort level with my family that he believes us when we say, “I’m going to hang out near the end of this exhibit, but please, take all the time you need and enjoy!” 

One of the things we did in the museum was watch what they’re calling a 4D movie.  I was unclear what that meant prior to entry, but it was pretty cool.  Objects rose up out of the stage in front of the curved, panoramic movie screen or dropped down from the ceiling to enhance the experience.  Lights and sounds came from strategic spots inside the theater- over our heads, behind our backs- to make us feel like we were in the middle of things.  Our chairs shook and rumbled when the filmmaker was trying to indicate that we were on a bumpy tank ride or something like that.  It was a very cool, very immersive moviegoing experience- and certainly one I would think twice about if I were with someone who had actually served in a war.  I suspect anyone with actual memories of anything similar may not want to be that up-close and personal with that kind of thing.  It was excellent, but I suspect, for some, it would be too much.  Oh, and Tom Hanks narrated it.  I mean, how cool is that? 

Also- fun fact- any time you go into a place where a motorcycle exists with my dad, he will tell you all about that bike.  I didn’t need to read the placard in front of this bike before he told me all about the company (Simplex Motorcycle) and how the founder of the brand made money off a kickstand patent.  Dad can narrate a motorcycle exhibit so much better than any actor could.  

After the museum, Cas directed us to a restaurant that promised a very good muffuletta.  I have honestly never had a bad muffuletta.  This one was, as usual, excellent.  I suspect it’s just a really good sandwich every time.  

From there, we took a long walk through some more industrial (less rich and touristy) neighborhoods to the Urban South Brewery.  When in doubt, take my dad to a brewery.  Their beers were pretty good, and they also had some non-beer options.  

After that, we took the streetcar again, because the walk would not have been quick or short, and a taxi would have cost more than $1.25 per person.  We wrapped up our evening at Dad’s new favorite New Orleans watering hole.  The music at Jimani is good, the bar food is exactly what you’d expect, and the beers are reasonably priced.  All in all, a good spot to sit with our group and sort of recap the past few days.  Of course, because Jane suggested it and Dad would never say no to ice cream, we stopped for cones and scoops on the way back to the hotel.  The place we went was crowded, and the cashier appeared to be just about to quit her job, but we managed to get out the door with treats.  

From there, it was back to the hotel and to bed.  Today, we have breakfast together before Jane takes a mid-day shuttle to the airport.  Dad, Danny and I head there later in the day.  Only a few more adventures left in this trip, but seriously, this has been a good one.  If only we could get a sweeping film score and some Tom Hanks narration to punctuate this trip- maybe next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment