Thursday, July 25, 2024

Can you tell a critter from a hole in the ground?

Okay, okay- I literally walked out the door while uploading that last post.  I didn’t talk about the important stuff like the animals we saw or the things we did.  I seriously think I just discussed the oddities in my visual field.  Sorry about that.  

So, yeah, anyhow.  Yesterday, we did a nature walk, had lunch on a yacht and followed that with a little snorkeling in the ocean.  It was pretty awesome.  We saw sea lions occasionally rise from their beach time slumber to argue over territory or girls, only to lay back down and relax. We saw iguanas and ancient cacti.  We saw a lot.  It was very cool.  Cas certainly took some snorkeling photos, but I just didn’t want to try.  I am a weak swimmer, and I don’t suspect that snorkeling in the open water would help my confidence.  

Last night, we got a fire going in the fireplace in Villa number five.  We ordered room service and a bottle of wine, and we just watched the fire crackle and go.  It was kind of relaxing.  Today, we saw frigate birds and iguanas.  

Today was cool, though.  We saw the illustrious blue-footed boobie.  It was just as strange as you’d suspect.  We saw other amazing creatures on our walk.  Cas had a second opportunity to snorkel today, and I took the time to walk out into the ocean, then wander around on the beach.  When I walked to one rock outcropping from a different one, I was approached by an iguana.  He walked toward me, so I tried to back up.  They say you should keep six feet between yourself and another critter out there.  Every time I backed off, he walked up.  He followed me across a pretty good piece of sand.  

When we got all done living our yacht lives, we had a few other things to do.  We had to visit the Gemelos, which are the twin sinkholes that aren’t sinkholes.  They’re holes left by magma pocket or some such nonsense during a previous volcanic eruption.  After the twins, we planted trees into significantly smaller holes in the ground.  Apparently, the trees that are supposed to be around here are being overtaken by blackberries and guava trees.  It’s not that blackberries or guavas are bad- it’s just that thye’re better at persistence than the native plants, and those are the ones that the conservation folks are trying to bring back.  

And with that nugget, I have to hit the hay.  I am so tired I can hardly see straight.  I must talk about the lava tunnel dinner (AKA dining in a hole in the ground)- but I need to do that tomorrow.  I am seriously wiped out.  Good night, folks!  

Check out Our Photo Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment