Friday, July 19, 2024

Livin’ that monk life

Last night and tonight, we are at the Monasterio Hotel in Cusco.  It’s just about as fancy as anyplace I have stayed- too fancy for me and Cas and our usual expectations, but when in Rome, am I right?  This hotel is built in an old monastery, and from what I am seeing around the grounds, monks had it pretty good.  I had breakfast this morning between Cas and a 327 year old cedar tree in the center of a courtyard while sipping on my first mimosa of the trip. The juice was so fresh that I almost felt bad about adding champagne.  Almost.  

We’re in a pretty, little room that has most certainly been updated from the monk days of the space.  The bathroom is all marble and the bed is so comfortable that we actually needed the alarm this morning.  

When we did get up and got ourselves fed, we headed to the Plaza de Armas, which is like a town square.  There’s a pretty fountain in the middle and about half of the city residents selling something on the sidewalks and park space.  No, I don’t want earrings.  I’m all set for small paintings.  I don’t wish for a walking tour.  My sunglasses needs are met.  It didn’t take long for me to be over the Plaza de Armas, which is sad, because it’s interesting.  

Case in point- there was a protest there today.  We saw police in riot gear walking beside the protest parade.  There was a megaphone and a series of assembled marchers.  It looked from their signage like they were workers trying to unionize or organize.  It was a peaceful demonstration, well managed and interesting to see.  I for one hope that the hard working folks around here can get good treatment from whosoever their bosses are.  I don’t know what they were asking for or what they felt they were being denied, but I have worked hard in my life, so I at least have empathy.  

But for today, we got a little food, a little wander-around time and a little local color.  Next, we go to a cathedral, see the ruins of an Incan sun temple and head to a Pre-Columbian art museum.  Buckle up- we’re over 11,000 feet, and it’s easy to get winded.  

More later, but for now, here is Our Photo Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment